Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Entreprenuership

Having a dream and living a dream are two very different things. I personally feel it is easier to dream but tough to live it and work towards fulfilling it. When you come from a background into a new space you can be nervous as you are unsure of the path and the outcome. However what really makes one get headlong into the thick of things and pursue these dreams is the will to try and the hope to make it happen, make a difference and see success through the changes.

Being an entrepreneur and doing a regular job are also two very interestingly different scenarios and when I took the plunge myself (into entrepreneurship) I was pretty nervous over my decision. However my faith in my own abilities and potential were reinforced by my colleagues at Obelisk and my wife Ritu. She has really been the strength behind this decision along with a few other mentors who I really look up to.

My experience so far has been enriching and valuable and irrespective of the outcome of this decision, I know I have learnt a lot and will continue to “really” learn more of “Management”. Had always thought doing an MBA was difficult and then getting a good job even more difficult, but what really is challenging is actually putting what you learn from organisations and at business schools, in real use for your own self and in trying to contribute back into the society as a whole.

Your attitude towards relationship management, negotiations, conflict management, sales, employee motivation, finance, costs, admin and every aspect of business and an organisation is very different when you do a “Job” and when you run your “own shop”. Some really useful lessons can be learnt along the way and its interesting (if you are a conscientious and introspective type) to see and assess your reaction to these.

Like a famous teacher once said- you will not know till you do it and walk through that door.

I quote Irv Grousbeck, of Stanford Business School where he gave a talk on entrepreneurship for his Final Class- Fall Quarter, to all passing out MBA students. He said – “A leader is best when people barely know he exists... not so good when people obey and proclaim him; worse when they despise him…. but of a good leader who talks little, when the work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves. Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness; concerning all acts of initiative and creation there is one elementary truth -- the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans. That the moment one commits oneself, then providence moves too, all sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred, a whole stream of events issues from the decision; raising in ones favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and even a material assistance which no man would have dreamt come his way." I have learned a deep respect for one of Goethe's couplets: "whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it; boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."

This is an excerpt from a six pager my mentor sent to me to go through and reflect on…it was a difficult three month time where I kept going back and forth on “To do or not to do”. But then finally I did decide and I shall see it through till I feel it’s time to change gears. With that I mean go to the next level or take a different road. These are difficult decisions and can never be taken by an individual easily. But as long as one can read, talk to other experienced people and does things oneself, one can always make an informed decision.

So let us do, learn and keep changing to become better in whatever it is we may do. This is what Evolution is. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment